🍼 vs. 🥩🥔🥦 or are you on more of a spiritual junk food diet? 🍪🍩🍿🍔🍟
I believe I have a problem. I’m a little slow to get off the milk and when I do try to wean myself, I find my first tendency is to head for the fast food line wanting my relationship with God to be microwave ready! A little snack here and a little light lunch there…But I know He’s calling me to something more. (Deep calls to Deep…His Spirit within me is no longer satisfied with a junk food Gospel…I need real meat!). I want real Bible teaching. I just ordered a Strong’s Condordance…I’m so excited! I want to learn the Word. I want it planted deep in my heart to take root and grow…producing good fruit.
God is calling all of us to a full course meal…He wants us to savor His word. He has a spiritual banquet waiting for us and He calls us to dress for dinner.
So what do I mean by that? I’m not talking about wearing your Sunday best to church…Come in your sweatpants if you like…sit in a comfy chair…but plan a real “sit-down” meal with your Father, His Son and the Holy Spirit. (We go to the Father, through the Son by the power of the Holy Spirit). We need to do this on a regular basis. You can’t just have Fried Chicken Dinner on Sunday and Burgers and fries all week long. And let’s be honest, some of us are only getting KFC at our church services too!
If you want to cultivate a real relationship with your Creator you have to start planning your meals. Sure a quick devotional here and there and some Praise & Worship music intertwined during your day are great, but it’s like the icing on the cake, not the meal. This idea that you can have true communion with God while standing over the sink or watching TV or driving…that’s just NOT the same thing as a relationship. It works in a pinch (don’t misunderstand…I’ve had some very meaningful drive time’s) some devotionals have been very fruitful…but as I mature in the Lord I feel His call to deeper intimacy. It’s time to sit down and dig in to His word. A family meal with enough time for some heartfelt communication.
The Bible is like a fully stocked kitchen pantry…it’s got all the tools, all the staples, all the best ingredients you need for a full meal…and He calls us to be the salt. (Lol!)
When you sit down, first give thanks, ALWAYS! Then open up the word and begin to ask thoughtful questions giving some time for careful reflection and consideration on His part as well as yours. Don’t expect to rush through this time at the table with your Maker like you did when you were a child and wanted to get back outdoors to play. Instead, sit down in a quiet place and have all your things prepared (set your spiritual table with pens, pencils, journal, markers…whatever you need) before you start to partake of His word. The Bible is true spiritual food for consuming and life giving encouragement for pondering…take a bite and chew well.
The Bible itself says this:
- John 1:1 In the beginning was the Word,(A) and the Word was with God,(B) and the Word was God.
- John 1:14 And the Word (B)became (C)flesh and dwelt among us, and (D)we beheld His glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father, (E)full of grace and truth
- John 6:25-59 says Jesus is the bread of life (You look this one up it’s long). https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=John+6%3A25-59&version=NKJV
- Hebrews 4:12 For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.
- Ephesians 6:17 And (J)take the helmet of salvation, and (K)the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God;
- 2 Timothy 3:16 All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, (B)and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for [a]instruction in righteousness, 17 (C)that the man of God may be complete, (D)thoroughly equipped for every good work.
- 1 Thessalonians 2:13 For this reason we also thank God without ceasing, because when you received the word of God which you heard from us, you welcomed it not as the word of men, but as it is in truth, the word of God, which also effectively works in you who believe.
1 Peter 2 (NIV) – Therefore, rid yourselves(A) of all malice and all deceit, hypocrisy, envy, and slander(B) of every kind. 2 Like newborn babies, crave pure spiritual milk,(C) so that by it you may grow up(D) in your salvation, 3 now that you have tasted that the Lord is good.(E)
1 Corinthians 3:1-4 (NKJV) – And I, brethren, could not speak to you as to spiritual people but as to carnal, as to (A)babes in Christ. 2 I fed you with (B)milk and not with solid food; (C)for until now you were not able to receive it, and even now you are still not able; 3 for you are still carnal. For where there are envy, strife, and divisions among you, are you not carnal and [a]behaving like mere men? 4 For when one says, “I am of Paul,” and another, “I am of Apollos,” are you not carnal?
I’m feeling a sense of urgency again like when I was first saved…Come Lord Jesus!